Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Breaking down the numbers

Recently I had to gather all of Little M's medical records to try to get him on disability.  I never really stopped to think about just how often he's been in the hospital or seen by a specialist.  I knew it was a lot but holy cow!  He has nearly 100 hospital, clinic, ER, specialty, therapy, lab visits in two years. How is that even possible?  So I broke it down.  Because I'm a number geek like that.

ER visits: 5
Hospital stays: 8
Well baby check-ups/ weight checks: 9
Sick baby visits: 12
Specialty visits: 21
Therapy appointments: 35
Lab visits (most of these required drawing blood): 9

No wonder I don't have any time off accrued at work!

It's a wonder my little guy doesn't start screaming the second we walk into the pediatrician's office!  At his 2 year well baby check he was as charming as could be all while talking and smiling for Dr. J.  She's just as shocked.

And not to rock the boat or jinx anything, but Little M got a cold the beginning of June.  That makes every month this year.  And for the first 5 we had a hospital visit or stay.  We stayed home this time.  I think he's getting stronger.  And I think the asthma controller meds are helping.

The one thing that I try not to dwell on with all these visits is the cost.  Yes we have insurance.  It's not the greatest, but at least it's something.  We still have co-pays, deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums to meet.  And they all reset every year.  Simply put, it's draining.  Financially, obviously, but emotionally too.  Then throw in an out-of-network ICU stay and, well, shit.  I'd like to use a stronger word there, but I'm trying to not dwell on it again.

I love my boy more than I ever could have imagined.  And knowing what we know now, yes we would still do it all again.  I just wish we could have been more prepared for the financial toll this was going to take.  But hindsight....

So for now, we just keep taking each day one at a time.  I try to remind myself daily that God won't give you more than you can handle.  I just wish he didn't trust me so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment