Thursday, August 19, 2010

3 months, custody and another delay.

Marcus is 3 months old today! I don't have a new picture of him though because my favorite nurse is still on vacation. :( I'm hoping to at least have the nurse get his feet and hand prints for his baby book. I can't believe it's been 3 months already. Of course the first 6 weeks we weren't really sure if he was going to be ours or not. Now we know he will come home with us. Let's just pray it happens soon!

***********************
So my last post was about 8/17 being our anniversary. From now on it will be our anniversary AND the day the judge signed the custody order. For all intents and purposes we are his parents!!!!!! I couldn't have asked for a better gift!

************************

Finally, the bad news. More delays. We were so excited to learn that Marcus was doing better with his feeding and we would start to make a discharge plan for him soon. Then he had his eye exam on Tuesday and he didn't pass...twice. =( So rather than wait another week, he is having a follow up exam on Friday. If he passes that test, they will check again on Tuesday. If he doesn't pass this exam, he will have laser surgery right then and there. If he has surgery it could delay his discharge by up to 3 weeks. In addition to the possible eye surgery, these exams he has to have are very painful for him and it's affecting his feeding. He hurts and therefore doesn't want to eat. I'm heartbroken about this news. We have waited so long to have a baby and now that we finally have him, we have missed the first 3 months of his life and have no idea when he will get to come home. I know if he were in the same state I wouldn't be as upset. I could at least be there for him. I could hold him and kiss his downy soft head and promise him ice cream when it was all done. But I'm not there. And I can't go to him. I looked at airfare to fly out for 48 hours. But since we put everything we have and some we didn't have into adopting, we can't swing an extra $500 for a quick trip. So I will just have to keep praying that he will be home soon. And I have to keep finding the silver lining on the whole situation. The more days I work, the more PTO I accrue, the more days off I can take with Marcus when finally does come home. The other positive thing is despite all these obstacles and challenges, he continues to grow every day. As of this morning he is 5 lbs. 8 oz. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment