Every once in a while the reality of Little M's diagnosis sneaks in and I'm forced to think about the future.
During his early intervention appointment this month the OT said we need to push him on gross motor skills, but not too hard or we'll do more harm than good as far as muscle deterioration goes. So now we have to learn where the line is and be careful not to cross it. Reality check, my baby has a disease.
While attending the home and garden show this past weekend, I looked at a floor plan on a "double wide". O.k. it was a manufactured home not a trailer. And the only reason I went in was because I was hoping to find a comfy seat since my back and neck were killing me. (See "What a day!" post to find out why.) While I was looking around I realized that the floor plan was a really good one...for a wheelchair. Reality check, I have to consider that sort of thing.
I was reading another blog post about a sweet baby girl with Down Syndrome. She had learned to stand on her own and it was a huge milestone for her. Reality check, my baby's milestones are all delayed and I feel like it's my fault even though I know it isn't.
Reality has been sneaking in a lot lately. I'm doing my best to stay strong and focus on the positive stuff. But I'm mad. It's not fair to Little M and I feel like throwing a fit for him because he hasn't learned how to do it himself.
Your post moved me and all of your feelings are so natural and understandable (though it doesn't make them any easier).
ReplyDeleteI look forward to hearing more about Little M!
I have an almost 17 year old son with a rare genetic disorder and I produce a magazine called BLOOM, on parenting kids with disabilities. Hope you will visit! Louise
ps -- this is the BLOOM blog:
ReplyDeletehttp://bloom-parentingkidswithdisabilities.blogspot.com/