Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mother's Day

I celebrated my first Mother's Day. It was quite the contrast to last year that's for sure! Last year I was so thankful for the margarita maker to help dull the ache I had. This year I was so thankful for the margarita maker because really, who doesn't enjoy a margarita every now and again!

The actual day was quite busy. Mr. Temmie and I were asked to serve coffee and donuts after all the Masses that day. I'll go into that more later. Anyway since we had to be at church so early we had to hurry a little faster than I would have liked. But it was Mother's day. And I am a mommy. So the day couldn't have gone wrong for me. :)

So while I rushed to get ready, Little M slept in. Turd! He never sleeps in! And as we were heading for the door, Mr. Temmie walked out of our room with a still half asleep Little M, complete with head bobbing, holding flowers and a card. I WISH I'd had a camera. It was too precious! They wished me a happy Mother's day, I gave them kisses and we were out the door! Inside my card was a gift card for a massage. Oh I can't wait to cash that in! It will be heavenly! :)

So donuts...for my 2 readers that may be unfamiliar here's how it works. Various groups and organizations volunteer to serve coffee, juice and donuts after all the Sunday Masses. Parishioners gather after Mass, chip in a buck or fifty cents and then visit with friends and have a cup of coffee and a donut. Our parish provides the coffee and donuts and then the organization gets to keep whatever monies are donated. I was fully prepared to keep our "cause" on the down low. But our priest had other ideas. He made a small announcement at the end of Mass telling people that "donuts" was to help a family who just adopted a baby and had a lot of medical bills. I think every parishioner stopped by. I have never slung so much coffee in my life! And in the end we got to meet some new friends with a precious little guy they just adopted and we were amazed and humbled by the generosity of our parish family. We spent 6 hours at church that day. And we couldn't have done it without help from Liz, Kate, Daniel, Patti, and Keegan.

I was so tired when we left church, but I still had to make a potato salad for dinner that night. And we were STARVING! I was really hoping to get a little nap in but that just didn't happen. After a quick lunch and whipping up a tater salad it was off to my mom's for dinner with all my siblings. We all chipped in and got her a laptop. As my pops likes to say, we're going to drag her, kicking and screaming, into the age of technology. Really though she loved it and is very excited to learn how to use it. That is if we can keep everyone else off of it!

In the end, Mother's day was just like any other Sunday with a little extra spoiling. And I wouldn't have it any other way!

Although I think next year I'll make that nap a bit higher on the priority list!

2 comments:

  1. I would be blogging a different story for Mothers Day but it would still say thank goodness for the Margarator! Life would be sad without it and my yummy recipe.

    But we were happy to help with donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have only WISHED for a margarita that day!!! Glad your day was so great! And yes, schedule in that nap for next year!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete