Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day

My family has never really been the type to visit the cemetary on Memorial Day.  We think of our loved ones and stir up old memories.  But running from cemetary to cemetary to leave flowers by a headstone has never been our thing.

This year was a little different.  Losing Dad is still pretty fresh for all of us.  We all miss him like crazy! So on Sunday night when Aunt Liz asked if we wanted to meet at the cemetary and have pizza and beer next to Dad's grave we said YES!  And then we questioned if you are allowed to drink beer in a cemetary.  So far the answer to that is yes.  But I don't know if that's because you can or because we didn't get caught. ;)

As many of as could met up at Papa's grave.  He still doesn't have a headstone because, DAMN!, they're expensive!  And because of his role as a Deacon he's buried in a special section of the Catholic cemetary and there are certain restrictions and requirements.  Maybe by the end of the year my siblings and I can come up with the funding for Dad.

In the mean time we all had a really nice afternoon eating Dad's favorite kind of pizza and drinking a beer for him.  I don't know if it's the new tradition, but for now it was just what we needed.  And I was SURE Aunt Jen would cry!!  But she didn't!  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment