I have been in school for WAAAAAAY too long. When high school ended I wanted nothing to do with college. I was so over school and couldn't be bothered. In fact I was so done with going to class that I sorta quit going my senior year and had to go back later to get my diploma. But I did get the diploma! I also packed my bags and moved 3000 miles away from anyone I knew. That was a little scary! But it also made a huge impact on the person I am today. And I met some amazing people and had some awesome experiences I never would have had if I hadn't gone. =)
I was only gone a year. Granted I could have extended my nanny contract with the family I worked for, but there was a boy back home I wanted to give my attention to. (no that boy wasn't Mr. Temmie and for a while I regretted moving home for a boy, but in the end if I hadn't come home for the boy, I wouldn't have broken up with the boy and then been set up on a blind date with Mr. Temmie. So it turned out to be a good thing.) =) Anyway, when I came home I still didn't want to go to school. So I nannied for a local family and took care of my sister's two kids in exchange for rent. At one point I also watched another sister's son and had 4 kids under 5 in my care from 8:00-about 4:30. Doing preschool drop off for the two older kids while hauling around the two toddler/babies was tough! And that's when I decided I didn't want to watch other people's kids for a living anymore. But I didn't want to go to school either! So I got myself a nice cozy office job at a major soft drink company. It was while working there I started to think I might want to go back to school but it would be several years before I would make that move.
Fast forward several years...I was now working at the local children's hospital in the communications/safety and security department. Most of my co-workers were college students. Mr. Temmie and I were newlyweds and I told him it was time. We had a few discussions and we agreed I would go back to school. That was nearly 8 years ago.
Since I worked full time, I mostly stuck to part time credit hours. A few times I tried to go full time school with full time work, including a semester of 20 credit hours and 40 hour work weeks, but all that really did was tank my GPA. I did manage to get an Associates Degree from the Community College and last fall I was accepted to the University. I'm struggling there. I just want to be done and am quickly losing my motivation. But I HAVE to finish. I HAVE to get a Bachelor's degree. I WANT to teach. I just don't think the education program is my path. So I looked into getting an English degree. I can still teach with an English degree. I have a friend who is also looking into getting an English degree and is will to do it with me. So I pulled the class requirements.
Folks. I'm as little as 16 classes away from a degree. And that includes a minor in Spanish so it would be a BA instead of a BS which is what I wanted anyway and was working towards. I would split it up over 3 semesters, mainly due to needing 3 Spanish classes and having to split them up. It's about 5.33 classes a semester or roughly 15 credit hours a term. That qualifies as full time student. I've done this many before. One of my best terms I had 16 credit hours. It's not easy but it is do-able. Especially if I have a partner in crime. If I choose to go Summer Semester I could be graduating with a degree this time next year.
I think the only obvious choice it to call a student advisor and get the ball rolling. I think this is just the motivation I need to kick it into high gear and FINALLY be done with school!!
I AM SOOOOO EXCITED TO BE DONE(or the thought of being done)!!!!!! ENGLIsh here we come!! We can do it!! It's only for a year...we can do anything for one year!
ReplyDelete